Friday, January 17, 2014

Summer Hill



Summer Hill

My feet sideways
Crabwalking
Up the hill so steep the horses walk around it
And up through the old woods
To crop the summer grass
Once there, I am above the trees
I study
This is impossible, I say
This glacier canyon side
In North Carolina

On a class trip to Linville,
The ranger said we were standing in once Africa
Without understanding,

I walk down and sit
In the cooling grass below
In turkey feathers, I twirl them

In the future, we think they were once dinosaurs
Chicken-minded, tiger striped wings
Running on dragon legs
From nothing

Must I shut this from my mind?
Other children seem happy
To be in the present
Never thinking of the past
But I always go back, so long

I once knew a man named Lazarus,
From Africa
Who came to far away Carolina
For his children

In the shadow now
Water passes in its circle
Through the dark canyon
Eternal, healing miracle resurrection 

Memory -
Above me, there is a log barn
Its chinks long dropped and decayed
And above that
Up the long obtuse incline
One of the old men, Virgil
Looked into this valley
Cattle-worn
And succumbed to disease
Strangled himself

Memory: In the attic of the barn, I find a military cot
A leather saddle losing its sheep-skin, liquor bottles
Among the patchwork cattle is a wild pony from Assateague
I hide and watch it
Fearful, burred, alone with the cattle
White eyes rolling, it bolts from men
Clattering smooth creek stones
Into the valley, disappears

Now, this is purely in my mind
I keep it there, always recurring
Should I put this away?
Is there more in this to know?

I look for crows
I hide back in the weeds with a slingshot
Tearing at the forks
From launching the blue black state gravel
Always swinging wide, landing near where
The crows had been
My mother said if I killed one,
She would hang it from my neck
To fix my dark mind

The chainsaw roars
Vibrating the tall, dead oak
Beneath it, I am small
Carrying cut limbs to the metal barrow
One falls from the sky
And I go away
Into memory

A dark path
Two crows are fighting
The winner flies away
The other, looks to me
Mouth open
A red, buzzard head on a crow body
In my mind it says:

                                   I am done
                                   Send me back
                                   Have mercy
                                   Crush me

I think back
Immediately to a dark time
When my mind died
And was resurrected
To feel with things
And so I am an instrument
For living now.
Nearby is a red steel pole
And in my hands it passes the old soul
With a final squawking breath

In the creek are small black spirals
Clung to smooth stones
The pulse and breath of the resurrection
The force that shaped the valley floor
With their small gray tongues
They move in inches
No memory
No time, no time

No comments:

Post a Comment