Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Funeral in the Piedmont

A Funeral in the Piedmont

A clear sun semi-circle,
Flat and dusty cemetery off a two-lane Reidsville highway,
In the yard of an old wood church and tobacco barns:

No one cries.
Not from uncaring or meanness,
Only from not knowing what to do.
My uncle Rueben seldom spoke to others
And kept to himself, with his greasy instruments.
 - Off to my left a black man dozes in his digging machine
And accidentally knocks it in gear, lurches backward
Into a cement angel, crashing with a final destructive stone clap.
The preacher never stops
As my grandmother utters a bitter oath
With layers of old racism,
And a vicious personal insult to the man she apparently knows.
Her voice hums like a bitter string, and
I pinch myself through my suit, and finally dig a small knife blade
Into my thigh to keep from laughing,
Because she is so vivid in her description,
And because she means it and is still harmless
In the way that only old women can be.

 Summer, 1980s-
A long maroon Pontiac creeps to the edge of the driveway,
A large southern black woman
In a house dress and slippers
Shuffles up the smooth asphalt,
Raises her hand and cries out smiling.
I watch from under the sycamore.
My grandmother shades her eyes from the doorway
Walks from the carport,
Also smiling.

Memory-
I would like to hear the tune Bud would have played
If he had known about his own service.
I had often played his ancient Gibson banjo
Black and greased
Ringing cat-gut echoes
Heavy and humming- taught, stamped in Kalamazoo -
Which stayed under the guest room bed
As my uncle slipped farther away
Into himself, without caring.
He was the seventh born son
Of a seventh born son,
And so was known to be apart.
Sometimes his brothers would carry him
In their old cars to play in fire departments
Or the churches of Baptists or Methodists
To be a part of the loud ringing choir
And he would hear the words of mothers
And women, fathers and sons
All without understanding.
It must have been one long glorious echo
That carried with him all times
Through dark nights without dark
In the moving mouths of people
As others were born and died
He saw this without understanding.

Dark, summer, 1990s.
Music floats across the tobacco field
I stand in the yard alone
Outside the house
Where my grandparents hide themselves
From a world becoming another place
Neighbors have died
And the music is alien to them.

Inside the sun-circle:

Afterward,
I look backward out the car window
As the slick suited man drives us
And the dust settles around the upright stones.
The black man has righted the angel;
He readies the earth for the grave,
And my uncle, still silent
Is lowered again.

No comments:

Post a Comment