Thursday, February 20, 2014

Legend of the Earth's Forming

Legend of the Earth’s Forming


A crinkle of late winter leaves
A leg moved, yellow
Scaled,
I counted three
Something must have chewed or torn the other
Finally, given up
And you rested,
And closed your wound
Kept on
Even though I had no thought of harming you
I must have been rough
Turning you upside-down
Watching at ground-level for your eyes to emerge
To see me through that impossible-colored lens
And finally,
You seemed to regard me
As you must have done other times
With other boys
Dogs
Crawling things
The old people from this country say
That the earth was carried on your back
As it emerged
After considering this
I think they must have seen you
As I see you
Because I have risked everything
Present, future
To move you many times
In many bodies
Over the harsh alien scab
Trusting that you must know
Some refuge
A trial to follow
From an ancient map
Made at the world’s forming

No comments:

Post a Comment